Virginia By Design Call For Entries 2019
The Virginia by Design Awards recognize the best efforts of designers or visionaries who have made creating, preserving, and enhancing design in Virginia a notable endeavor. They tell stories about The Commonwealth and its people, and elevate the power of design for the public good. The Branch Museum of Architecture and Design intends to acknowledge excellence in design, visionary thinking, and patronage that influence social change in our communities throughout Virginia.
Nominations are accepted for four awards, determined by jury:
Design Achievement Award — is given to a corporation or institution for utilizing design as a strategic tool in their mission and consistently exhibiting ingenuity and insight in relating design to quality of life.
Emerging Designer — This Award honors a designer, not yet licensed or professionally certified, who demonstrates an exemplary level of excellence in design execution and a dedication to advancing the discipline.
Prize for Public Interest Design —is given to a creative project that has transformed its surroundings, whether a setting, neighborhood or community. It is for an individual or entity responsible for shepherding the project within Virginia.
Vision in Design Honor — This honor recognizes a visionary thinker such as an educator, author, critic, curator, preservationist or designer who has had a profound impact or influence on design education, theory, practice or public awareness. The recipient may live in Virginia or have executed significant work in Virginia.
Recipient Chosen by Branch Leadership:
The Branch Medallion — The Branch Medallion is given to acknowledge and celebrate extraordinary patronage of and/or support for the architecture and/or design community in Virginia.
The criteria for the awards focuses on excellence, visionary thinking, and public impact. Nominations for all Virginia By Design Awards except the Branch Medallion may be made by:
- Awards candidates themselves;
- Other individuals;
- Design professional organizations; or
- The Branch Museum Board of Trustees.
Current Branch Museum Trustees, Awards Jurors, and Awards Committee members are not eligible for nomination. Nor may any member of these groups be used as a reference or solicited by the candidate or the candidate’s advisor.
Submissions should consist of resumes, design statements, and where applicable, portfolios of work and professional-quality visual samples.
Nominees or their nominators must:
- Indicate their willingness, if selected, to attend the awards ceremony on April 17th, 2020 in Richmond Virginia.
- Submit all materials by the deadline for submissions of 5 p.m., January 17, 2020.
- Submit all materials electronically in PDF format through the website.
- Submit materials as PDF documents no larger than 30 MB.
- Resume, Design Statement, a one paragraph bio, and statement of nomination with case for nomination, name of nominator and contact information.
- Professional quality visual samples of nominee’s work or of project nominated.
- Letters of support and letters of reference.
Awards will be determined by a panel of jury members distinguished for their contributions to the design field.