To Supporters of The Branch:
We are continuing to follow Governor Northam’s orders for a shutdown through May. We hope to reopen in mid-June with limited hours and return to a fuller schedule in mid-July. We will be posting more information about these openings after Memorial Day, so please check back with us then.
In the meantime, we have redesigned our Architecture Camps to meet all COVID-19 health standards and will be hosting those in July and August. Click here for more details.
We are also participating in the RVA History Hunt (see below)! If you undertake the physical hunt this weekend, please know that our item on the hunt “eye of Trojan Horse” is here but took a beating from severe winds this week, so the horse head and eye are on the ground in the courtyard while our designer Ed Pokoj works to heal our bamboo horse’s wounds and get him back up. If you get a chance from a safe social distance, give a few words of encouragement to Ed and crew on their task. (The wheels on our Trojan Horse weigh 250 pounds, so imagine the wind that picked up the horse and dashed him to the ground!)
Have fun scavenging for Richmond’s treasures!
Penelope C. Fletcher
The #RVAHistoryHunt is a collaboration by Richmond cultural organizations to present a unique scavenger hunt experience. Launching just in time for National Scavenger Hunt Day (May 24) and running through August 23, this initiative has been carefully tailored to create a new way of engaging with the Richmond community while being aware of the unique challenges brought about by the COVID-19 global pandemic.
There are two available scavenger hunts in which you can participate – while practicing safe social distancing – with your family, roommates, or on your own. You will also have the opportunity to enter to win museum shop discounts and items from participating locations!
- Physical Scavenger Hunt: Walk or drive around the Richmond area to locate specific items at participating museums.
- Download the #RVAHistoryHunt PDF
- Snap a photo of the object and tag both the museum location and #RVAHistoryHunt on Instagram, Facebook, and/or Twitter. (To be entered into the drawing, you must tag both the museum location and use #RVAHistoryHunt.)
- Continue on your journey until all stops are completed
- Digital Scavenger Hunt: Access the Digital Scavenger Hunt here. Then, search the websites of participating organizations looking for specific images, facts, or other content to answer the questions for the #RVAHistoryHunt. Once you’ve found the answer to each question, enter it on the Digital Scavenger Hunt form along with the URL of the page on the participating organization’s website where you found the answer. Submit your completed Digital Scavenger Hunt form and pat yourself on the back!
Everyone who competes in one or both of the scavenger hunts will be entered into a drawing to win museum shop discounts and items from participating locations.